So we know we should eat more vegetables but how do we eat it all?
Vegetables are nutrient dense and calorie poor. Our bodies need all types of nutrients to run smoothly and help us combat chronic diseases. One way is to drink your vegetables in a smoothie. It’s great in the morning and as a snack. I don’t add tropical fruits such as bananas, mangoes and grapes because of their high sugar content. If you are going to have the smoothie in the morning, we want to avoid a lot of sugar.
I like to make my green smoothies in bulk so I always have some in the refrigerator as well as in the freezer. I don’t “juice” because juicing removes the fiber that our bodies desperately need. I’d rather ingest fiber from food than in a glass of water filled with that drugstore fiber powder. YUCK!
My favorite smoothie:
- ½ bunch organic kale
- ½ head organic romaine lettuce
- 2 organic apples, seeds removed
- 1 cup organic blueberries
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 slice fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup fresh ground flax seeds
- Water to fill blender pitcher ¾ of the way
- Rinse all ingredients and place in blender at a high-speed. Process until smooth.
Place in small containers. I leave one in the refrigerator, and freeze the rest in small containers.